Monday, September 14, 2009

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Application time!  Let's see how to use what we've been learning to get better pictures.

I took this picture in Program mode with normal settings.  I think it's cute, but there is a problem.  When zoomed in, you can see this:


See those discolored flat patches?  One below her left eye and one on the nose.  We don't want those "blown out" pixels - particularly in an important part of the picture like the subject's face.  They are a result of over-exposure.  To fix this, I used the exposure compensation function.  I simply dialed the exposure compensation to -.3 and tried again.  I got this:

Not quite the same smile unfortunately, but better exposure.  Compare the two close-ups so you will be able to recognize when to use exposure compensation too.