Friday, October 2, 2009

Practical Tip: File Number Sequence

Years ago, when I first started using a digital camera, I got so annoyed that I was ending up with dozens of pictures with the same file name (DSC0001 or something similar.)  I couldn't put my pictures into the same folder until I renamed them.  The problem was that every time I cleared off my card, the numbers started over.  Well it turns out that we live in a world where this doesn't have to be a problem.

By simply changing one setting on your camera, you pictures' file names can continue counting up even when you delete your pictures or reformat your card.  Look for a setting called something like "file number sequence," and change it to "on" - or whatever is opposite of the setting that produces the problem.  If you have a Nikon D40 you can find this control in the "Setup Menu" (wrench.)  You won't have to worry about having two files with the same name for the next 9999 pictures.
_