Thursday, June 11, 2009

What camera should I buy?


I'll cut to the chase. If you're a mom and need a camera buy a Nikon D40.  You can get it Amazon,  or B&H.  This is why:
  1. Digital is the way to go. It's easy, fast, and fun.
  2. You need an SLR if you want great pictures of your kids. If you have a point and shoot camera, you are going to capture the moment after the moment you wanted. An SLR will give you better quality and a LOT MORE flexibility.
  3. Go with a good name. I like Nikon. Canon is also great and would be my second choice. If you want a Canon, check out the Rebel XS or Rebel XSi.
  4. Don't pay for more than you need. The low-end DSLRs from Nikon and Canon are PERFECT for moms. Don't let a smooth talking salesmen convince you otherwise. Six megapixels is plenty.
  5. I've seen the Nikon D40 with a lens available for about $350 multiple times over the last few months. It was a great deal when I bought it for my wife at $550 two years ago.
I've owned Nikon and Canon cameras. I think Nikons are easier to use, but if you have a Canon, don't feel bad - they are great. I use two very expensive Nikon cameras for my professional work that can do a lot more than moms need, but if we are going to the park, we take my wife's D40. I've recommended this camera to dozens of moms and they all love it.