Monday, July 6, 2009

How Many Megapixels Do You Need?

Recently a reader asked about purchasing a camera with more megapixels than the Nikon D40 which I recommend. Since I don't expect many people to be reading the comments on a month-old post, I figure this subject is worth a post all its own.
The short answer is this: Six megapixels is plenty for almost anybody. It is definitely plenty for photo-moms.
Six megapixels is more than enough resolution for websites, emails and pictures up to 8x10. I've even seen poster size prints from six-megapixel cameras that look stunning. Are any photo-moms printing bigger than that? If you aspire to sell your photos to stock photography agencies, you might want more mega-pixels, but otherwise six is plenty. If you want a different camera for another reason and it comes with the megapixels, go for it, but don't let a smooth talking salesman sell you on pixels.
I have a small point and shoot camera that can do ten megapixels, but I set it to six to have smaller files.
If you want to read a more technical and verbose article about this, click here.